1 17:30:10 *	garyo-home (n=chatzill@209-6-158-38.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com) has joined #scons
   2 17:30:24 <garyo-home>	hi guys
   3 17:30:47 <GregNoel>	Hi, Gary.
   4 17:31:20 <GregNoel>	Steven's laptop went to sleep a few minutes ago, so I suspect he's on the way to the shuttle.
   5 17:31:24 <garyo-home>	Just waiting for Steven I think
   6 17:32:25 *	stevenknight (n=stevenkn@67.218.107.200) has joined #scons
   7 17:33:09 <garyo-home>	and here he is now.  Hi Steven!
   8 17:33:15 <stevenknight>	hey
   9 17:33:25 <garyo-home>	OK to start?
  10 17:33:32 <stevenknight>	good by me
  11 17:33:48 <garyo-home>	So 2393 is clearly my bug, I'll figure out what's going on there.
  12 17:33:54 <garyo-home>	I've reproduced it.
  13 17:34:08 <GregNoel>	done
  14 17:34:29 <stevenknight>	done
  15 17:34:42 <GregNoel>	2394, +dmd?
  16 17:34:45 <garyo-home>	2394: Greg, why do you think Bill's patch won't work?
  17 17:35:07 <GregNoel>	It just makes sure the library doesn't occur more than once.
  18 17:34:59 <garyo-home>	oh wait, I see now
  19 17:35:03 <stevenknight>	+dmd ++
  20 17:35:09 <garyo-home>	Ok, I agree
  21 17:35:14 <GregNoel>	When?
  22 17:35:33 <stevenknight>	2.x p3
  23 17:35:24 <garyo-home>	Can Bill take it?
  24 17:35:39 <stevenknight>	i'm okay with giving it to bill
  25 17:35:41 <garyo-home>	ok w/ me
  26 17:35:50 <GregNoel>	OK, we'll try it.
  27 17:35:45 <stevenknight>	not sure if he'll be okay with it tho
  28 17:35:54 <stevenknight>	the last one was just applying someone else's patch
  29 17:36:09 <stevenknight>	so it's not like he's a dmd guy or anything
  30 17:36:12 <stevenknight>	still, let's try it
  31 17:36:14 <GregNoel>	right
  32 17:36:19 <garyo-home>	Probably the OP will tell him that it didn't work and ask for more help.
  33 17:36:39 *	stevenknight takes 10x the words to say what Greg says, as usual... :-)
  34 17:37:00 *	GregNoel types too slowly to do otherwise
  35 17:37:00 <stevenknight>	yeah, leave it with bill until further notice, then
  36 17:37:11 <GregNoel>	done
  37 17:37:21 <stevenknight>	done
  38 17:37:29 <GregNoel>	2395
  39 17:37:33 <garyo-home>	2395: I now agree w/ you guys, need config, ask OP for patch
  40 17:37:43 <stevenknight>	k
  41 17:37:53 <stevenknight>	i think this should be collected with the other symlink ones
  42 17:37:53 <GregNoel>	no, not +symlink
  43 17:38:00 <stevenknight>	why not?
  44 17:38:30 <GregNoel>	it's just an option to copytree(); it doesn't have to do with making symlinks first-class objects
  45 17:39:04 <stevenknight>	hmm, okay
  46 17:39:04 <stevenknight>	i guess
  47 17:39:10 <garyo-home>	More I think about it the more I realize neither way is better, I can make valid cases for either one.  Flag is necessary.
  48 17:39:12 <garyo-home>	IMHO
  49 17:39:53 <GregNoel>	I don't know if you can have flags on Actions, but that's the obvious solution.
  50 17:39:21 <stevenknight>	i see the technical distinction
  51 17:39:32 <stevenknight>	but not sure if users care
  52 17:39:40 <stevenknight>	okay, not +symlink
  53 17:39:48 <stevenknight>	ask OP to contribute
  54 17:40:11 <GregNoel>	yes, agreed, ask OP
  55 17:40:23 <stevenknight>	do we need any more categorization?
  56 17:40:46 <garyo-home>	i don't think so
  57 17:40:50 <GregNoel>	ditto
  58 17:40:52 <stevenknight>	okay, done
  59 17:41:00 <GregNoel>	2396
  60 17:41:22 <GregNoel>	Dearth of comments on this one... {;-}
  61 17:41:48 <garyo-home>	Greg: your only reservation is the string join, right?
  62 17:41:51 <stevenknight>	had trouble looking at the patch
  63 17:41:51 <GregNoel>	Ah, I see, wrong row...
  64 17:42:01 <garyo-home>	(sorry, just fixed my comment)
  65 17:42:14 <stevenknight>	and bad network lag w/Firefox on the bus now...
  66 17:42:19 <GregNoel>	yes, the string join; I don't know if this can run on 2.2 or before.
  67 17:42:41 <garyo-home>	I think since it's a patch to a previous patch we should get it in sooner.
  68 17:43:37 <stevenknight>	agreed re: sooner if we broke something in a recent patch
  69 17:42:48 <stevenknight>	string joins are usually easy to convert to old syntax...
  70 17:43:04 <garyo-home>	Sure, trivial.
  71 17:43:13 <GregNoel>	+Easy for sure
  72 17:43:20 <stevenknight>	so 1.3 p2 ?
  73 17:43:30 <GregNoel>	works; who?
  74 17:44:43 <garyo-home>	I'm heading out soon for a week so I'm not the right person for this one.  I'd commit it if there were a test though.
  75 17:44:59 <stevenknight>	give it to me
  76 17:45:05 <GregNoel>	done
  77 17:45:28 <GregNoel>	(Although I hate to interfere with 1.3-RC.)
  78 17:45:33 <stevenknight>	2397:  consensus
  79 17:45:41 <garyo-home>	ok
  80 17:45:48 <GregNoel>	done
  81 17:46:00 <garyo-home>	2398 consensus too?
  82 17:46:06 <GregNoel>	2398, also consensus
  83 17:47:04 <GregNoel>	2399, Gary, I agree with your comment, which is why I said it's not obvious to find...
  84 17:47:25 <garyo-home>	I could take this one as long as it's not high priority.
  85 17:47:37 <garyo-home>	I have a Mac and understand that part of the code.
  86 17:47:59 <GregNoel>	For 2.x p3, I'm not going to worry about who gets it.
  87 17:48:18 <garyo-home>	ok, good.
  88 17:48:25 <garyo-home>	esp. if it's +Easy
  89 17:48:20 <stevenknight>	is there any more useful information the OP could provide?
  90 17:49:05 <garyo-home>	Steven: could ask for small testcase, but otoh I haven't tried it.
  91 17:49:38 <GregNoel>	I'll mention that in the note assigning it to you
  92 17:49:49 <stevenknight>	sounds good
  93 17:49:51 <stevenknight>	done
  94 17:49:51 <garyo-home>	I think it'll either be easy to repro, or we'll have to get more info (in which case it could be user error)
  95 17:50:32 <GregNoel>	On to 2004?
  96 17:50:48 <stevenknight>	yeah
  97 17:50:53 <stevenknight>	i didn't get to the spreadsheet, though
  98 17:50:59 <garyo-home>	sorry me neither
  99 17:51:08 <GregNoel>	I'm only half-way
 100 17:51:15 <garyo-home>	743 is wontfix though.
 101 17:51:20 <stevenknight>	let's make what progress we can
 102 17:51:22 <stevenknight>	743:  wontfix
 103 17:51:38 <GregNoel>	done
 104 17:51:43 <stevenknight>	the part of me that wants to do *everything* Make can do doesn't like it
 105 17:51:51 <stevenknight>	but it's definitely not high enough priority
 106 17:51:59 <garyo-home>	not nearly high enough!
 107 17:52:14 <stevenknight>	744:  i'll get the patch off sourceforge
 108 17:52:35 <GregNoel>	I'll assign it to you; assign it back when the patch is there.
 109 17:52:48 <stevenknight>	done
 110 17:53:34 <stevenknight>	765:  2.x, p2, stevenknight, packaging
 111 17:53:47 <stevenknight>	note re: someone else taking it if we find a better packaging guru
 112 17:53:49 <garyo-home>	765: could be research to see if it still happens
 113 17:54:07 <stevenknight>	garyo-home:  good point
 114 17:54:07 <GregNoel>	point
 115 17:54:31 <GregNoel>	I like research, I guess
 116 17:54:36 <stevenknight>	okay, research
 117 17:54:42 <GregNoel>	done
 118 17:54:42 <stevenknight>	more likely it'll get off the plate sooner
 119 17:55:08 <stevenknight>	767:  yeah, already fixed
 120 17:55:25 <stevenknight>	when we changed the default behavior w/the sig refactoring
 121 17:55:25 <GregNoel>	FIXED, then?
 122 17:55:26 <garyo-home>	ok
 123 17:55:32 <stevenknight>	yes
 124 17:55:35 <GregNoel>	done
 125 17:56:26 <GregNoel>	768
 126 17:56:31 <stevenknight>	(trying to pull it up)
 127 17:56:32 <garyo-home>	768 is really asking for Install with perms I think.
 128 17:56:42 <GregNoel>	yes
 129 17:57:06 <garyo-home>	That's a useful suggestion and there's a wrapper builder on the wiki for it.
 130 17:57:34 <garyo-home>	I recommend closing this one and adding an enh req for Install with perms.
 131 17:57:40 <garyo-home>	(unless there's already one)
 132 17:57:45 <stevenknight>	seems like some other bug in our voluminous list should cover this topic more generally
 133 17:58:01 <stevenknight>	i like closing and opening an Install-with-perms issue
 134 17:58:10 <GregNoel>	That would be 'automake' compatibility.
 135 17:58:19 <garyo-home>	yes, in a way
 136 17:59:34 <GregNoel>	wontfix?  invalid?  something else?
 137 18:00:01 <garyo-home>	doesn't much matter as long as there's a comment explaining why.  wontfix.
 138 18:00:09 <stevenknight>	wontfix
 139 18:00:12 <GregNoel>	done
 140 18:00:36 <GregNoel>	780
 141 18:00:49 <garyo-home>	invalid.
 142 18:00:54 <stevenknight>	780:  actually, iirc, this was deceptively difficult when I tried to look at it awhile ago
 143 18:01:19 <stevenknight>	the obvious solutions had side effects due to our tangled web of builder subtypes
 144 18:01:19 <garyo-home>	(Also, I fixed the EEXIST mkdir error that would have occurred if he had made a proper Action here.)
 145 18:01:59 <stevenknight>	i could be misremembering though
 146 18:02:20 <garyo-home>	I believe it
 147 18:02:46 <stevenknight>	how about 2.x p3 stevenknight, then?
 148 18:03:23 *	GregNoel will defer to the experts
 149 18:03:25 <stevenknight>	or research, to characterize whether it is or isn't easy
 150 18:03:26 <garyo-home>	to fix the doc?
 151 18:04:08 <stevenknight>	or to fix the doc
 152 18:04:10 <stevenknight>	yeah, research, me
 153 18:05:06 <GregNoel>	Gary concurs?
 154 18:05:13 <garyo-home>	sure.
 155 18:05:16 <GregNoel>	done
 156 18:05:21 <stevenknight>	done
 157 18:05:30 <garyo-home>	790: we'd need more info or a mingw expert to fix this.
 158 18:06:06 *	GregNoel will defer to the experts again
 159 18:06:40 *	stevenknight can't get firefox to stop going non-responsive
 160 18:07:23 <stevenknight>	gary, any thoughts?  I can't pull up anything right now
 161 18:07:53 <garyo-home>	I don't think any of us know enough to write a patch for this issue, we'd need more info.
 162 18:08:13 *	stevenknight tries shutting down firefox to start from scratch
 163 18:08:54 <stevenknight>	is the OP identifiable as an active user?
 164 18:09:27 *	garyo-home goes to check
 165 18:09:45 <garyo-home>	nope.
 166 18:09:53 <garyo-home>	pre-Tigris I guess
 167 18:10:20 <stevenknight>	either assign it as research to someone (me) or else defer to next time
 168 18:10:41 <stevenknight>	i may be able to get advice from co-workers
 169 18:10:42 <GregNoel>	or close it?  Five years old...
 170 18:10:56 <garyo-home>	tempting indeed.
 171 18:10:33 <garyo-home>	do you have mingw?
 172 18:10:58 <stevenknight>	no
 173 18:11:00 <stevenknight>	i try to keep my Windows systems vanilla,
 174 18:12:15 <stevenknight>	defer this one to next time and let's move on?
 175 18:12:20 <GregNoel>	done
 176 18:12:29 <GregNoel>	797, what he _wants_ to do is bind shannon.so to the wrapper library, but what he's _trying_ to do is put shannon.so inside the wrapper library.
 177 18:12:29 <GregNoel>	I know the latter is bogus and I don't think we have any handy way to do the former.
 178 18:13:01 <garyo-home>	Right, the workaround is as always attributes.shared=1, which is not ideal
 179 18:13:21 <stevenknight>	damn, shuttle stop < 1 min.
 180 18:13:40 <GregNoel>	Damn, I wanted to ask about schedule...
 181 18:13:52 <stevenknight>	i thought our answer was setting STATIC_AND_SHARED_ARE_THE_SAME
 182 18:13:57 <stevenknight>	or whatever that big long variable name is
 183 18:14:22 <garyo-home>	steven: that's not quite the same, he's adding a .so as a source, and that's not tagged.
 184 18:14:31 <stevenknight>	ah
 185 18:14:44 <stevenknight>	Greg, i can IRC later tonight
 186 18:14:49 <stevenknight>	or we can try for tomorrow
 187 18:15:12 <GregNoel>	good, when?  Pizza is arriving for me, but I'm free after that.
 188 18:15:06 <stevenknight>	send a time that's convenient for you in email
 189 18:15:06 <garyo-home>	I'm out next week, but actually I *can* do 2 wks from now.
 190 18:15:22 <garyo-home>	(wait, you're asking about release schedule, not bugparty schedule)
 191 18:15:33 <stevenknight>	gotta go...  i'll check in when i get home
 192 18:15:34 *	stevenknight has quit ("This computer has gone to sleep")
 193 18:15:44 <GregNoel>	What I can do is put all the issues together...
 194 18:15:45 <garyo-home>	I have to bow out too, but let me know what transpires.
 195 18:15:57 <GregNoel>	... and everybody is gone...
 196 18:15:58 <garyo-home>	ok...
 197 18:16:02 <garyo-home>	no I'm still here
 198 18:16:12 <GregNoel>	going, going, ....
 199 18:16:09 <garyo-home>	what were you saying?
 200 18:16:28 <garyo-home>	you can put all the issues together and then what?
 201 18:16:53 <GregNoel>	We're so close to killing the backlog that I can just make all the old issues show up in the current stack for next time.
 202 18:17:27 <garyo-home>	That makes good sense to me.
 203 18:17:28 <GregNoel>	If you're going to be here in two weeks, that would give < 30 issues
 204 18:17:39 <GregNoel>	A lot for one sitting, but possible.
 205 18:17:48 <garyo-home>	I will be here.  (Thought I had a school meeting but it was changed.)
 206 18:18:13 <GregNoel>	OK, I'll make the next meeting in two weeks.
 207 18:18:06 <garyo-home>	If I can get to the spreadsheet that'll help of course
 208 18:18:37 <GregNoel>	And the spreadsheet is always good to do...
 209 18:18:45 <garyo-home>	:-)
 210 18:18:26 <garyo-home>	Enjoy your pizza.
 211 18:18:51 <GregNoel>	Thanks, I will.  CUL
 212 18:18:55 <garyo-home>	bye
 213 18:18:59 *	garyo-home has quit ("ChatZilla 0.9.84 [Firefox 3.0.8/2009032609]")
 214 

BugParty/IrcLog2009-04-15 (last edited 2009-04-16 03:53:45 by ip68-7-77-81)